Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Friends...

The guy I once loved hurt me badly, broke my heart and was the most insensitive person I have ever known. Yet I am very thankful to him- because it was only during the messy break up did I realize the value of my true friends. I had many friends at that time, and believed that they would help me recover from the heart break. I was wrong, some of my friends hurt me more than my Ex had. One commented, " Oh! Its OK, your parents will get you another guy". I wonder what the hell was he thinking when he said that? That I was all desperate just to have a guy in my life? Another one was more irritating. "How could you actually love someone belonging to another religion? Go get someone from your own!" And I am ashamed to admit that the one who said this was once a very close friend of mine. Not surprisingly, he dumped his ailing girlfriend just because she was serious about their relationship, while he was not ( "I can not marry someone from a different caste!!" was how he put it). Anyway, coming back to my story, I was almost depressed after getting dumped. I say "almost" depressed because I was just one level short of being classified as clinically depressed. And I had cut off contacts from most of my friends. But still, three of them stood by me. They were always there to listen to me, to comfort me. Never once did they say anything hurtful- no mention about the religion thing, no probing about the details of the break up, nothing intrusive. They always tried to cheer me up & make me see the positive things in life. I realized that from among the numerous "friends" I had had, these were the only ones who really cared about me. They were my only true friends !! I would have never known this fact had it not been for the break up. Its been years since that idiot dumped me, and I cut off many meaningless friendships. And am very thankful to GOD for giving me the most wonderful people as friends who stood by me even when I did not deserve their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment